Thursday, January 31, 2013

Married couples divorcing after decades of marriage


I read an article on CNN called “Why call it quits after decades of marriage?” This article explains some reasons that divorces are becoming more frequent with couples who have been married for a long period of time. One reason the article gives is that today  the life span is longer than what is was years ago. People think that they may have a possibility of finding a new relationship to enjoy there “golden years” with. The article says that most divorces are common after the “honeymoon” period and reality begins to set in, or after a child is born. But this article says some divorces happen because they no longer have their children holding them together and decide to call it quits. The final reason that married couples get divorced after being married for over 20 years is that distance and isolation becomes part of the marriage after being together for so long and the couple begins to grow apart.

When I picked this topic I wanted to learn more about why couples who have been married for decades are getting divorced. I know a couple who are getting divorced after 25 years of marriage I was shock! I felt like the have been through so much together that it made their relationship stronger instead of pulling them apart. This article really helped me understand some reasons that this might not be true. The article talks about how divorces are more acceptable today then it was make in the day. Also back in the day the life span was shorter than today. Therefor today there is more time of a married couple to grow a part and decide to split.I think that the longer life span is part of the reason why 50% of marriages end in divorce. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way you do about divorce idea. I was shocked to find out that more couples are getting divorced when they have been married for so long too. I always wonder though what if they don't find someone else to spend their golden years with? and How they could just leave behind years of marriage. It in a way just kind of blows my mind how quickly people can get divorced after being married for so long. Reading this article did make things more clear to me too though.

    ReplyDelete